This online course has only one goal – to prepare you for the challenging international Certified Passive House Designer Exam, run up to 4 times annually by the Passivhaus Institut in Germany, and offered by CanPHI and other exam providers worldwide. If you’re investing CAD $500 or more in sitting this exam, it only makes sense to prepare once, and prepare properly!
DURATION: 100 exam-type questions – depending on your background we recommend up to 2 weeks of evening study for the challenging CPHD exam
PRICE: $199 CAD – Save with course bundles.
What you will learn during this course
This is a superb resource for getting you through the highly challenging international CPDH exam. It will give you the best preparation available anywhere for getting a pass. You will learn:
- How PHI sets its exams – the format, duration and tools needed, and what you need to do to pass
- What to expect from every type of question – from engineering-type calculations to PHI’s approach to Multiple Choice questions
- How to approach the exam to maximize your chances of passing
- How to get up to speed on the many types of calculation in this exam
- How to approach the (famous) Passive House Design Question, including real examples of successful candidates’ submissions
- Links to essential exam prep tools
- If you’re investing $500 or more in sitting the CPHD exam, it only makes sense to prepare once, and prepare properly, getting up to speed with this carefully structured Prep Course, which has helped many Canadians qualify as CPHDs
What can I expect from this course, and what’s included?
- We’ve taken apart the challenging Passive House curriculum and re-assembled it into 13 Modules – over 90 new training videos, ranging from 3 to 35 minutes duration, to make the best use of your limited time
- This course is the basis for professional qualification as a Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant (if desired)
- We use cutting-edge adaptive streaming (HLS) via the industry-leading Wistia platform to deliver the best possible version of each learning video at any given time, with the player automatically choosing the highest quality available to you without buffering
- Each major Module includes a Quiz at the end (8 in total), to assess your learning progress as you go through the course and get an overall final score
- You’ll have unlimited access to the training videos and quizzes for five weeks (35 days) from the date of your registration
- Building Science for Passive Houses (Short Course) is included in this course as an important separate Module
- Fully updated for 2019 with the latest Passive House R&D
- See the online training course FAQs for more information
- Useful resource downloads are included for each Module, in PDF format
- On finishing the course and passing all Quizzes you’ll be emailed a personalized Certificate of Attendance, with which you can claim 40 hours of learning credits from your professional association
How much time do I need for this online training course?
The course features over 100 training videos ranging from 3 to 35 minutes, in 13 separate Modules.
Upon registration, you will have 35 days unlimited access to watch all training videos and complete the 8 Quizzes.
Depending on their background, most people will be able to cover this amount of material, and complete the exercises in 5 – 7 full days
Who delivers most of the course material?
Malcolm a Civil Engineering graduate of the University of Ottawa, who’s worked in the energy efficiency field as a professional engineer, designer, builder, researcher and writer for over 25 years. He’s a Passive House pioneer in Canada, and in 2005 he designed and built the first house in the country to Passive House specifications.
Malcolm co-founded CanPHI in 2010, having worked extensively at the Passivhaus Institut in Germany. He’s since become the most experienced and accomplished Passive House educator in Canada, having taught the CPHD course across the country since 2010. His current specialties include the economics of the Passive House approach, particularly affordable design solutions. He has consulted on Passive House projects across the country, and he’s the principal of a Quebec-based construction and consulting company which delivers affordable prefabricated solutions in CLT and other natural materials.
Malcolm is a vigorous promoter of radical energy conservation, and in this capacity he has presented at many international Passive House, sustainable building and architectural conferences. In 2017 he became a PHI-accredited Passive House Certifier, and is currently developing affordable designs for co-housing projects.
What Past Students Are Saying
Thank you very much! The online course was extremely interesting and informative.
CanPHI’s Passive House design course has inspired us with new goals and has changed our approach to all our projects…!