This online course has only one goal – to prepare you for the challenging international Certified Passive House Designer Exam, run up to 4 times annually by the Passivhaus Institut in Germany, and offered by CanPHI and other exam providers worldwide. If you’re investing CAD $500 or more in sitting this exam, it only makes sense to prepare once, and prepare properly!
The course contains over 100 exam-type questions – depending on your background we recommend up to 2 weeks of evening study for the challenging CPHD exam
Architects, builders, designers, trades persons, planners, municipal officials, students … anyone who wishes to get the world’s most elite qualification in energy-efficient building design
What will I learn in this course?
This is a superb resource for getting you through the highly challenging international CPDH exam. It will give you the best preparation available anywhere for getting a pass…you will learn:
- How PHI sets its exams – the format, duration and tools needed, and what you need to do to pass
- What to expect from every type of question – from engineering-type calculations to PHI’s approach to Multiple Choice questions
- How to approach the exam to maximize your chances of passing
- How to get up to speed on the many types of calculation in this exam
- How to approach the (famous) Passive House Design Question, including real examples of successful candidates’ submissions
- Links to essential exam prep tools
- If you’re investing $500 or more in sitting the CPHD exam, it only makes sense to prepare once, and prepare properly, getting up to speed with this carefully structured Prep Course, which has helped many Canadians qualify as CPHDs
What can you expect from this course?
- We’ve slashed the cost of this course by over 60% – to just CAD $99 – for anyone who signs up when purchasing our main training course in Design & Construction. Our goal is to make Passive House qualification realistic and affordable for everyone.
- Expect a LOT of Q&A! The course includes 150+ exam type questions, each with worked solutions
- This course has 10 non-narrated videos covering every aspect of Passive House, as required for the CPHD exam; most people will cover all the material in 3-5 full days of study
- The suggested approach is to work through the questions one by one in each category, stopping the video to write down or calculate an answer, then checking the solution provided
- See the course Online Training Course FAQs for more information
How much time do I need for this course?
Upon signing up for this course, you will have 3 months unlimited access to these 10 videos. Study time for the CPHD exam depends on your background – architects and engineers will likely be more used to these kinds of questions than other candidates. We recommend you make a serious effort to study for up to 2 weeks before the exam.
Who delivers the course material?
Malcolm Isaacs is a Civil Engineering graduate of the University of Ottawa, who’s worked in the energy efficiency field as a professional engineer, designer, builder, researcher and writer for over 25 years. He’s a Passive House pioneer in Canada, and in 2005 he designed and built the first house in the country to Passive House specifications.
Malcolm co-founded CanPHI in 2010, having worked extensively at the Passivhaus Institut in Germany. He’s since become the most experienced and accomplished Passive House educator in Canada, having taught the CPHD course across the country since 2010. His current specialties include the economics of the Passive House approach, particularly affordable design solutions. He has consulted on Passive House projects across the country, and he’s the principal of a Quebec-based construction and consulting company which delivers affordable prefabricated solutions in CLT and other natural materials.
Malcolm is a vigorous promoter of radical energy conservation, and in this capacity he has presented at many international Passive House, sustainable building and architectural conferences. In 2017 he became a PHI-accredited Passive House Certifier, and is currently developing affordable designs for co-housing projects.
What past attendees say
A passion for quality and best possible housing performance led me to Passive House. What I learned, in the comprehensive training and with the excellent support during my first project, is that Passive House also delivers priceless features including added comfort, health and durability. My biggest challenge now is getting clients to believe they can have a radically energy efficient home for the same monthly cost of any quality built house, yet get the added health, comfort and durability for nothing. As a building science trainer and educator, I appreciated the massive amounts of material delivered in a manner that fully engaged building professionals from many different and varied disciplines. We fully covered all of the material yet had ample time for questions and comments as well as ongoing networking opportunities.
~ Garth Hood
As a General Contractor and Red Seal Carpenter I thought I was pretty knowledgeable and up-to-date on the latest in building technology. I attended the CanPHI’s Passive House Design Course in 2010 expecting to learn a few tricks on superinsulated housing. What I actually received was holistic view of how a building works and breathes, a whole new outlook on how to approach building homes. It was a complete game changer for me and for my company. It has catapulted me ahead of the pack to being a leader and innovator in building the future of the construction industry. Passive House just makes sense for many reasons: environment, financial, and above all buildings that are more comfortable and healthy to live in. I highly recommend CanPHI’s Passive House Design Course.
~ Tim Naugler
CanPHI’s Passive House course was extremely enlightening and thought-provoking. The concept should become a world standard for construction….any other type of building is a waste of resources in building materials and energy consumption!
~ Mary Haggarty