This online course will give you some hands-on experience with the PHPP (Passive House Planning Package) software, the world’s most accurate and verified tool for design of radically-efficient buildings
Even if you don’t plan to model buildings regularly, some working knowledge of PHPP is important for every Passive House designer – it’s at the core of the science-based Passive House approach to design.
1 full day (classroom equivalent)
CAD $199 (+GST) for 30 days registration
or CAD $99 (+GST) if purchased with Passive House Design & Construction course
What you will learn during this course
- How to navigate PHPP and enter data in the most important parts of the software
- How to calculate U-values quickly and accurately for any type of building assembly
- How to enter areas and dimensions in PHPP following the standard protocol
- Calculation of Treated Floor Area, and its importance
- How to plan a Passive House-quality ventilation system on a room-by room basis
- The course includes a comprehensive modeling exercise of an existing building design, in which you upgrade it from Building Code performance to Passive House performance – this is the best way to learn PHPP
What can you expect from this course?
- Discover the power of making fully-informed decisions about every aspect of building design – from insulation levels to airtightness, window quality and placement to ventilation unit efficiency.
- You’ll need a laptop or desktop with MS Excel, since PHPP is an Excel-based spreadsheet
- Inputs to the software are limited to dimensions and thermal properties of materials / components – anyone can do this once they learn the rules
- The course includes an unlicensed early version of the PHPP, provided for exercises. However we recommend you buy a new licensed PHPP version, with the manual (available from this website)
How much time do I need for this course?
There are 7 videos which feature short exercises and one long modelling exercise. Most people will watch all videos and complete the exercises within 1 full day
Registration gives you access to the videos and downloads for 30 days
Who delivers the course material?
Malcolm Isaacs is a Civil Engineering graduate of the University of Ottawa, who’s worked in the energy efficiency field as a professional engineer, designer, builder, researcher and writer for over 25 years. He’s a Passive House pioneer in Canada, and in 2005 he designed and built the first house in the country to Passive House specifications.
Malcolm co-founded CanPHI in 2010, having worked extensively at the Passivhaus Institut in Germany. He’s since become the most experienced and accomplished Passive House educator in Canada, having taught the CPHD course across the country since 2010. His current specialties include the economics of the Passive House approach, particularly affordable design solutions. He has consulted on Passive House projects across the country, and he’s the principal of a Quebec-based construction and consulting company which delivers affordable prefabricated solutions in CLT and other natural materials.
Malcolm is a vigorous promoter of radical energy conservation, and in this capacity he has presented at many international Passive House, sustainable building and architectural conferences. In 2017 he became a PHI-accredited Passive House Certifier, and is currently developing affordable designs for co-housing projects.
What past attendees say
A passion for quality and best possible housing performance led me to Passive House. What I learned, in the comprehensive training and with the excellent support during my first project, is that Passive House also delivers priceless features including added comfort, health and durability. My biggest challenge now is getting clients to believe they can have a radically energy efficient home for the same monthly cost of any quality built house, yet get the added health, comfort and durability for nothing. As a building science trainer and educator, I appreciated the massive amounts of material delivered in a manner that fully engaged building professionals from many different and varied disciplines. We fully covered all of the material yet had ample time for questions and comments as well as ongoing networking opportunities.
~ Garth Hood
As a General Contractor and Red Seal Carpenter I thought I was pretty knowledgeable and up-to-date on the latest in building technology. I attended the CanPHI’s Passive House Design Course in 2010 expecting to learn a few tricks on superinsulated housing. What I actually received was holistic view of how a building works and breathes, a whole new outlook on how to approach building homes. It was a complete game changer for me and for my company. It has catapulted me ahead of the pack to being a leader and innovator in building the future of the construction industry. Passive House just makes sense for many reasons: environment, financial, and above all buildings that are more comfortable and healthy to live in. I highly recommend CanPHI’s Passive House Design Course.
~ Tim Naugler
CanPHI’s Passive House course was extremely enlightening and thought-provoking. The concept should become a world standard for construction….any other type of building is a waste of resources in building materials and energy consumption!
~ Mary Haggarty